Bringing tennis back to Bay City, Michigan.
Bay City was originally home to 50 courts open to the public. Closures caused a sad cycle: no players, no courts, and a declining tennis culture. In 2012, a local high school student pushed for his teammates to have courts as nice as competing schools. He began his campaign to raise funds for new courts in Bay City.
From the ground up.
At the time, a vacant elementary school closed its grounds. Its superintendent had an idea: to rally the school neighbors and tennis people to fundraise for courts on the school site. Bay Community Tennis Association was formed as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, with a vision to build eight public outdoor tennis courts!
By the community. For the community.
After almost a decade of hard work, the Bay Community Tennis Association proudly opened the Janet Jopke Courts in June 2019.
Several community members made this mission possible including: contractors, the State of Michigan, and the generous donors.
Building a Foundation.
In memory of Richard Shaw
Dick Shaw, a graduate of Handy High School, started his family business, R.W. Shaw Contracting, in 1978. Bay City benefited greatly from his generosity and his quality work. Dick’s children and grandchildren dedicate Richard Shaw Park in his honor.
We at BCTA would like to recognize R.W. Shaw Contracting for providing labor and materials that made building our vision possible!
Honoring a champion for education.
In memory of Janet Jopke
The courts are named after Educator Dr. Janet Jopke (1942-2005). She began teaching in Bay City in the 1960s, before serving administrative posts and as the longest-serving superintendent of Troy School District.
We would like to recognize the family of Janet Jopke - their generous donation has brought this large project to life. BCTA is proud to follow her example: making a difference for the students and families of Bay City!